Recently I had the opportunity to attend the iStrategy Conference in San Diego. The event brings together marketers of all kinds (Agency, Enterprise, Entrepreneurs, SEO, SMO, Analytics, Big Data, etc.) for a single day long, interactive conference. I was exposed to a lot of interesting people, companies and projects at the conference and found it a good use of my time and travel budget. While there were many great sessions and takeaways, I thought some of the video stats and tips I gathered may be appropriate to share here. Much (but not all) of the content below was shared by Courtney Pierce from Brightcove, an industry leading online video platform provider.
- Earned and owned content is beginning to be more important to brands than paid.
- Brands are becoming publishers and companies are building broadcast centers in-house.
- On average, pages with video attract 2 to 3 times more traffic than those without and search engines favor sites that have video.
- Including the word “video” in the email subject line nearly doubles email open rates (from 7% to 13% open rate).
- Live streaming is growing in popularity
- Mobile: Average user spends 2 hours and 38 minutes per day on a mobile device.
Video viewing on mobile is increasing dramatically (300% growth YoY) and people are starting to watch longer form content on mobile.
- Tactical Video Publishing Tips:
- Thumbnails matter. Compelling thumbnails are proven to drive views.
- Quality of content matters
- Speed of loading matters:
Studies show that users start to bail on a video if it doesn’t load within 3 seconds. If it doesn’t load within 10 seconds, 95% of viewers will have clicked away.
- What brands can learn from successful YouTube content creators:
- Ask people to share and/or subscribe (within the content)
- Provide content with utility
- Use annotations (clickable overlays) to drive engagement